Wood burning fire caused ferocious house blaze in Borneo Street, Walsall

Profile image for Walsall Advertiser

By Walsall Advertiser | Saturday, November 30, 2013, 09:56

THIS is what remained of a Walsall home following a severe blaze this week.

The two-storey house, in Borneo Street, was destroyed in the fire which firefighters battled for more than two hours last Sunday evening (November 24).

A 49-year-old man was taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation. A neighbour also required treatment from paramedics.

Neighbour Stephen Buckley, aged 21, said that the home belonged to his uncle Raymond Henry.

He said: "My uncle has a large open wood burning fire at his home. He left it on for a little bit and then went to sleep.

"He was upstairs when the fire broke out. It wasn't intentional – he came downstairs and tried to put it out.

"He tried to pour water over it but it spread. As soon as it began to get worse he got out of the house, luckily.

"There were loads of people outside watching the fire even though it was so late at night."

Other residents came out onto the streets as they watched the ferocious fire take hold of the home.

Megan Massey-Corden, aged 16 – who lives nearby – had to leave her house during the blaze as smoke poured across the street and into her house.

She said: "There was lots of smoke billowing out of the windows and it was glowing a bright orange.

"Our neighbour came out knocking on our door for us to get out. Then our house was full of smoke – we had to leave the house. My mum was choking on the smoke.

"It's just not something you expect to happen – it's a bit of a shock."

The blaze left the property completely gutted, melting downstairs windows. The charred remains of wooden furniture was also left outside the home earlier this week.

Three fire crews were called to the blaze at around 10pm.

A West Midlands Fire Service spokesperson confirmed that the cause of the fire was accidental.

They said: "The fire damaged 100 per cent of the ground floor and half of the first floor of the property."

Mr Buckley said that his uncle was recovering well and would be staying with family as the house was inhabitable.

      

Comments

       
max 4000 characters
        
   

Latest Stories in Walsall

       
      

Search for...

       
        
Min price is bigger than Max price
        
Min price is bigger than Max price
        
Min rent is bigger than Max rent